Initially proposed by members of the ESA Space Weather Working Team (SWWT) at the SWWT meeting held on 18 Dec. 2002 at ESA/ESTEC, the "Education, Outreach and Emerging Markets (EOEM)" topical group is one of the SWWT topical groups:
- Fundamental Research (e.g. solar, S-T, including future missions and instrumentation)
- Ground Effects (GIC, prospecting, tourism)
- Atmospheric Effects (incl. Drag)
- Ionospheric Effects
- Spacecraft & Aircraft Environments
- Education, Outreach and Emerging Markets (EOEM)
- To cover education (primary to university), both formally (e.g. schooling, textbooks, etc.) and informally (e.g. museums, webcasts, etc.) services.
- To cover public outreach activities (e.g. TV/radio programs, popular books, etc.).
- To cover emerging space weather markets by acting as umbrella for markets until they are "mature enough" to have a topical group of their own in the context of a European space weather program.